FileZilla, free software FTP client
FileZilla, a free open source FTP client.
FileZilla Client is a fast and reliable cross-platform (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interface.
FileZilla Client is often refered as FileZilla, and is the Client software everyone can use on his own machine (for Servers, FileZilla Server is the right software)
FileZilla was started as a computer science class project in the second week of January 2001 by Tim Kosse and two classmates. Before they started to write the code, they discussed on which licence they should release the code. They decided to make FileZilla an open-source project, because there were already many FTP clients available and they didn’t think that they would sell even one copy if they made FileZilla commercial.
Now FileZilla is known as one of the most reliable and updated FTP client, CNET.com quoting it 5 stars, with this elogious comment: “FileZilla is no monster, either, eating up a manageable 50 MB in memory. Clearly, this is one of the best FTP tools around”.
FileZilla is powerful Open Source FTP/SFTP client with many features. It includes a site manager to store all your connection details and logins as well as an Explorer style interface that shows the local and remote folders and can be customized independently. A nice program for beginners and advanced user alike.
Filezilla is so easy to download and launch that you might not realize how powerful it is. Just enter a few basic server settings and you’re up and running with a single click. To upload and download files, simply drag and drop them between your Web server and computer. You monitor your actions in the site manager pane, which highlights the status of file uploads and downloads, or bypass the queue with manual transfer. You can also pause or cancel file transfers and even configure transfer speed limits to reduce file transfer errors, making the process of managing your Web site easy.
- FTP, FTPS, and SFTP support—Filezilla gives you a choice between several file transfer protocols and encryption methods, while supporting HTTP and the IPv6 Internet protocol.
- Vital Info at a Glance—Filezilla lets you compare your files with server files in the same directory to see if their file name or size is out of sync via highlighted colors..
- Built-in file management—A site manager lets you order transfer tasks via a server list and a transfer queue. It also supports resume, which means you can pause and continue transfers. Filename filters help locate specific files with the conditions you want. And you can edit server files on-the-fly, without downloading and re-uploading them back to the server.
- Easy to navigate—A tabbed user interface allows you to multitask browse servers to transfer files between them simultaneously. Bookmarks provide easy access to frequently used files. You can also drag and drop files between your computer and Web server.
- Advanced file settings—You can configure transfer speed limits to reduce file transfer errors and a network configuration wizard can assist you to configure any confusing network settings.
- Reduces timeout errors—Filezilla checks your network connection and notifies you if it has been idle for too long by sending a keep-alive command.
- Multi-language support—Filezilla is currently available in 47 languages worldwide.
FileZilla Server is an FTP server that supports FTP and FTP over SSL/TLS. FTP over SSL/TLS provides secure encrypted connections to the server.
Designed for Servers only, FileZilla Server